Tuesday, June 16, 2009

RDU/CMH 3rd Day!

Three legs back to Oaktown today! First flight was a quick and easy one from Columbus to Chicago. We were delayed leaving Chicago by 30 minutes because of weather. : ( The second one to Kansas City we had to stay seated the whole time because it was so bumpy. I was B on this trip so I sat in the back where it is the most turbulent and wow.. It was like a free roller coaster ride. : ) The third leg was to Oakland, yay, and although it was 3 1/2 hours long, it seemed to go buy a lot faster. This was probably because the passengers kept hitting their call light buttons every few minutes which I don't mind at all. : ) So we left 30 minutes late and had a head wind so we ended up in Oakland 35 minutes late. The next flight home to Spokane was threw Seattle and I barely made it on, there were only 5 empty seats before they released it to nonrevs and there were 7 nonrevs! Another flight attendant commuting home and I sat next to this lady with a toddler and the child had complete control over the woman and she gave sass to the working flight attendants. Rude much, I think so. : ) We get to Seattle and thankfully she gets off. It's kind of annoying when passengers think that the flight attendants are there to be your childs nanny.. Next stop is Spokane! So we're taxing out to the runway and we get cleared for departure. We're going fast, almost at V1 which is the point of no return.. Meaning once you hit that speed you cannot stop and all of a sudden we brake and not just a little brake, we brake hard and fast. My first thought is oh my God, we're going to crash. I look at the other flight attendant I'm commuting with and I know she's thinking the same thing. We both assume the brace position and are ready for impact. All of the emergency evactuation training that I have learned is now flowing through my brain. I'm thinking of which exits to use, how to get to them the quickest, where are the people with the children, which flight attendants will need the most help, if we are going to hit something from the front then I need to run to the back and help out there.. The commands run through my mind, Heads down stay down, Come this way this way out leave everything cross your arms jump, cover your nose and mouth get below the smoke.. Etc, etc.. And in the 10 seconds it take for me to think of all of this the plan comes jerking to a halt.. No crash. : ) Thank you God! The captain comes on the PA and lets us know that someone in a construction truck drove across the runway... Wow. Way to be Mr. Construction Man, way to be. Before this I was ready to take a nap on the flight to Spokane and now my adrenaline is rushing and there is NO way I can fall asleep. : ) What a great commute home.

No comments:

Post a Comment